The Lord your God has blessed you in all the work of your hands. He has watched over your journey through this vast wilderness. These forty years the Lord your God has been with you, and you have not lacked anything.
Deuteronomy 2:7 NIV
Praise the Lord for answering a specific prayer…once more showing me that He always provides!
I had done a Bible Study last year called One in a Million by Priscilla Shirer. I have to say that this has been one of my favorite studies to date and one that I plan on repeating. It centers around the Israelites wilderness experience and living the abundant life God has planned for us as we experience God’s Word…from the pew to the pavement. God’s desire for us is to have life and have it more abundantly. He delivers us on a daily basis to lead us into a “shackle-free” life. It points out that “wilderness experiences” are God’s will and are designed to have us seek HIM and his guidance, direction and will for our lives. It is during these times where true trust can be cultivated and we can move closer to God as we rely on Him.
This morning…I was reminded of one of the stories in this study. Priscilla called it “The $500 Story”. Priscilla’s father (Tony Evans) came home to find her mother crying. Beans again…it was the only food in their home at the time. He was in seminary at the time and they were living in a makeshift apartment in a bad part of town. $500 would be just enough for food and necessities. $500 would be enough to get them through the month. They prayed and God delivered the next day. Priscilla says “The incident happened over 40 years ago. Today my parents remember it as a sign of God’s hand on their lives during a wilderness experience….God game them a $500 story to be a reminder of his love and continued protection of their family- even and especially when times got tough.”
I have mentioned in previous posts that I keep a prayer journal. Not only are my prayers more focused here…but I can look back and SEE how God responded to those prayers. It’s wonderful to look back and see how He has blessed me, how He has answered my prayers in unexpected ways, is always present during good times and bad, and how He is constantly working in my life. Using this “$500 Story”, Priscilla illustrated how important it is to document and make special note of times when the Lord comes through when you’re in need. Otherwise, we become like the Israelites, wandering through the desert…quickly forgetting the miracle that God just performed a week before…and grumbling about our current state or circumstances.
I sometimes don’t pray for things because I think to myself, “Who am I to ask for ANYTHING from God?”. I am even reluctant to ask others to pray for me. But, His Word says that if my motives are pure and it is His will, He will respond. When he responds it may not be immediately…or maybe not even in the way one expects. He may even tell me “No”. I still need to pray.
You do not have because you do not ask God. When you ask, you do not receive because you ask with wrong motives, that you may spend what you get on your pleasures. James 4:2-3
Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives; the one who seeks finds; and to the one who knocks, the door will be opened. Which one of you, if your son asks for bread, will give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a snake? If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him! Matthew 7:7-11
Jesus replied,”Truly I tell you, if you have faith and do not doubt not only can you do what was done to the fig tree, but also you can say to this mountain, ‘Go throw yourself into the sea.’ and it will be done.If you believe, you will receive whatever you ask for in prayer. Matthew 21:22
Two weeks ago, I prayed a specific prayer. This was a big one (for me- nothing is too big for Him!) but a need that I knew could only be answered by Him directly. This morning He responded by providing exactly what was needed. Praise the Lord!!! This request and response are all documented in my prayer journal. Another “$500 Story”…the gift of answered prayer.
Reassurance, provision, He is mighty and amazing…and never forget to count your blessings.
159. the warmth of an 80lb furry companion- aging in the eyes- but forever loyal
160. the enthusiasm of children during their last basketball game of the season
161. Afrin- the ability to inhale fresh air deeply
162. a visit with my parents
163. seeing improvement and answered prayer in the eyes, actions and speech when chatting with my bro-in-law
164. family dinner
165. he calls my name in the middle of the night because he’s sick. But, reassurance that he is a healthy child and will only be sick for a time- praise the Lord for healthy children.
166. he brings home dinner again- cooks and serves
167. a quiet drive in the car
168….with ourbursts of giggles from the back seat as they goof off.
169. she mis-matches her socks when she can’t find the match. Simple, colorful solutions.
170. freshly washed sheets
171. the wonder of a kaleidoscope
172. he was home sick and decided to take time to brush her hair for her and adorn her head with bows and headbands
173. …and she felt so special- it was written clearly on her face.
174. the bluebird was here again this morning
175. he reads to her at nap time
176. two sick days followed by a snow day- the blessing of having more time with BOTH children
177. braving the weather to spend time with friends
178. he “cleans up” so nice…he dresses for a meeting- and is on the road
179….sacrifices he makes for his family
180. a very specific prayer answered.
181. A husband who knows when to “ground” me from all activities so I can get better
182. …and a submissive spirit to accept and honor him…acknowledge that he is right.
183. PJ day