I was just reading in Psalm this morning and a verse caught my eye, head, and heart.
I lie down and sleep; I wake again, because the Lord sustains me. Psalm 3:5
“Sustain” is such a little word. Yet when I look at the definition it has such BIG meaning! When I read this definition, and feel and understand the TRUTH that without the Lord, I am nothing, can do nothing, have nothing…wow. It really took my breath away this morning.
sus·tain (s-stn)tr.v. sus·tained, sus·tain·ing, sus·tains
1. To keep in existence; maintain.
2. To supply with necessities or nourishment; provide for.
3. To support from below; keep from falling or sinking; prop.
4. To support the spirits, vitality, or resolution of; encourage.
5. To bear up under; withstand: can’t sustain the blistering heat.
6. To experience or suffer: sustained a fatal injury.
7. To affirm the validity of: The judge has sustained the prosecutor’s objection.
8. To prove or corroborate; confirm.
It’s just that simple. He is the Master of every moment, provider, rock….the Lord of all. Regardless of the situation, the day, the plans I may have, the to-do list, the failures or the triumphs…the only reason I draw breath today is because God makes it possible.